Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

23.---Journal entry for December 12, 2002

(1)-Book

After the meeting, she said goodnite and no one heard her. She used the bathroom and came back into the lobby. They still hadn't left and she knew she had to try to get through to someone once again. She spotted Leonard talking with Mark and knew she might not be able to have her chance as they were in the middle of a conversation. Then Mark said "Goodnite" to everyone, as if he'd read her mind.

"Hey Leonard, I was wondering, I'm trying to write this book and I was wondering if you'd find this interesting."

"Really! What's it about?"

"Well there's this single woman and she's living in this apartment---alone, and her neighbors go up on her roof and in her walls and put some futuristic-type of force field on her--some kind of electromagnetic MRI type of technological thing and then proceed to deform her face and ...."

"Oh Science Fiction you mean?"

"Yeah, yes. Science Fiction--yup."

"Great! I love Science Fiction!"

"Oh good. See she has this problem--she wants to warn people but it would sound crazy, so she tries to find other ways to tell people but without actually saying the truth."

"Sounds interesting, I'd like to read a short draft of it sometime when you've got one."

"Well I've worked on it a bit but until I figure out how she solves the problem I can't finish it. See she's deformed and people notice it but she tries all these different ways to tell them without actually coming right out with it."

"Well, they do it over time so no one can tell right?"

"Well no. Yes, it's over time but in the space of a year she ages about 25 years so it is noticable. But, yeah, it is over time kind of..."

"Well, that's a good story."

"I'm trying to figure out how to make it interesting, exciting since it is a gory plot and could be dull if I don't find a way to keep it believable somehow."

"Well, you just have to make the character, herself, someone who people will care about. She can't just be just some run-of-the-mill forgettable person."

_____________________________________________________________

(2)-Book

"Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean? Make people care about her..."

"By making her real---fleshing out her character so well that the reader cares about her because he feels like he knows her. How she thinks, feels...."

"Oh like...I get it. Yeah, I know what you mean. So far the dialogues have been like that---alot more interesting since the conversation reveals the personality. Thanks. That's very helpful. Now I'll just keep writing til the different ways she tries to warn people work because I don't have the solution yet."

"So, she's warning people. Like a Martyr I guess."

"No, not like a martyr. More like a heroine. Since no one knows the technology exists she has to find a way to let the police know so they can keep it from happening to other innocent people."

"Oh, I see. Well I'd definitely like to read an outline and may be able to get some writers I know take a look at it too."

"Are you a writer?"

"Oh no. I just know some writers in this book club I'm in. But I'm sure one of them would read over an outline. I do like Science fiction so it'll be fun for me."

"Thanks. I'll work on that editing and get it to you when it's ready."

"Okay, see you."

"Goodnite."

As he walked away she wondered if he had any feeling about this conversation being way more than it seemed. No, she thought, but he did give her some good advice. She would have to get to work and try to write a good story that would be read.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter